When I was pregnant I loved reading what items bloggers loved for their babies. Since I'm two months into this parent thing I thought I would share with you all what has worked for us the past two months.
1. Fisher Price Rock n Play Sleeper- Intially Mills did not like this but after about 2 weeks it was the only thing he would sleep in. We also liked it because he started spitting up and getting the hiccups really badly around 2 weeks old if we laid him flat. The Rock n Play helped ease our worries about choking and hiccups. We stopped using it around 7 weeks for sleeping (because I didn't want him to get attached to sleeping on an incline) but I still use it around the house if I need to shower or do a chore.
2. Dr. Brown's Original Bottles- I started pumping and giving bottles right away because I wanted Mills to get used to both breast and bottle. He originally liked Playtex nursers, then he liked the Avent originals but with both of those bottles he would stop eating or just play with the nipple I had received some Dr. Brown's at my shower so I gave them a shot and he loved them! We've been using these since about 6 weeks and so far so good. They are a pain in the ass to clean with all the little parts but such is life.
3. Fisher Price Cradle and Swing- This swing has been a lifesaver for us!! For the first two weeks it was all Mills would sleep in. We now keep it downstairs and use it during the day for some morning/evening naps and for Mills to just sit and hang out in. When Mills is overstimulated or wants his alone time he wants to be in the swing. We usually keep it on a very slow swing and play the music and spin the little lambs around he will coo and laugh at them if he isn't asleep.
4. Summer Infant Swaddleme- These were also a lifesaver! Miller hated being swaddled and would break out of any blanket swaddle as a newborn so we purchased some of these and they saved our nighttime sleep. We used these until he outgrown them and swaddling which was around 6-7 weeks
5. Dr. Brown's Bottle Brush- If you're going to be cleaning bottles or breast pump parts I highly suggest getting a bottle brush and this one is the best in my opinion. I thought I would use the dishwasher for bottles but I have found that it is much easier to just hand clean them rather than waiting for a dishwasher load to be ready.
6. Carter's Sleep and Play with zippers- We LOVE Carter's in this house! Miller sleeps in footie pj's everynight and Carter's are our definitely favorites. I have some other brands I LOVE too but you can get Carter's on sale for as cheap as $6.00 and they are so soft. As many people told me when I was pregnant the zippers are great because it can be hard to snap up 100 snaps in the middle of the night or if you have a swirmy baby who can't stay still like I do.
7. Carter's Receiving Blankets- I use these blankets for the floor for tummy time, as a big burp cloth, to cover a couch cushion at someone else's house, etc. I consider these cheap enough that I don't care if they get bodily fluids on them and I think they are thick enough to put down when I at someone's house so that Miller doesn't spit up or have an accident on their nice carpet or furniture.
8. Pack n Play with newborn bassinet and changer- The PnP is another biggie in our house. The first 6 weeks it stayed downstairs in our family room and made diaper changes and nap time so easy. Especially if you have a c-section you don't want to be doing the stairs 10x a day for diaper changes. Then when we were ready for Miller to sleep flat it moved upstairs next to our bed. The best part is that it folds up small and compact so it was easy to take with us on vacation.
9. Aden and Anais Swaddle Blankets- I posted about these before but they seriously are as great as everyone says they are. I orginally had 4 and went out and bought 4 more because I use them that often. We take 1-2 walks a day and these are great for blocking the sun but are also light enough that he doesn't get too hot. They were perfect at the beach for the same thing and I use them all the time for nursing when I'm not at home.
10. Halo SleepSack- Miller broke out of his swaddle pretty much since he was born but we kept pushing it up until about 6 weeks. It was about then that we switched to sleep sacks. He loves his sleep sacks and now coos and smiles when we zip him up in them for naps or at night. I love the Halo ones but also have ones from the brand Just Born and Carter's.
11. Philips Avent Double Electric Comfort Breast Pump- This is the breast pump that I was lucky enough to receive free from my insurance company. To be honest I was very nervous about this pump because it wasn't one of the heavy hitters like Medela that I keep hearing all about. So far I absolutely love it. I pump 1-2 times a day and have been using it pretty much every day for the past 2.5 months. I have zero complaints and I hope that it continues to work well for me.
12. Fisher Price Rainforest Melodies and Lights Gym- Miller has so much fun on his activity mat. We tried to use it 1-2 times a day and he has just started reaching up and hitting the little toys hanging down. He also loves the music and lights and will start laughing/screaming when we turn it on. It's been so much fun watching him discover all the different little toys and see his arms moving.
I hope this helps anyone who may be looking for suggestions! Feel free to ask me any questions if you have them.